Thursday, October 16, 2014

Ari's Blog Post, Week of October 12th: Quote Humor Unquote

During the past week of class, I’ve been learning about Java (the programming language, not the kind of coffee!) by reading a book entitled “Sams Teach Yourself Java In 24 Hours” that Mr. Downs… procured… for me.
Page 1
37uh9

True to its word, the book has 24 chapters, or “hours” (plus an index and a glossary, among other related booky-things). I’ve read the first two chapters, and while chapter 1 was an introduction to what Java is, towards the end of chapter 2 I made my first Java program!
 
The program I made displayed the words “Saluton Mondo” on the screen, which I guess is the writer’s idea of a joke. It is a joke because the traditional first program displays “Hello World”, which “Saluton Mondo” is a translation of! Haha, programmers are such funny people! (not really.)

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 10.26.15 AM.png





















To make the program, I used browxy.com, an online Java compiler. A compiler translates the code you write into a form the computer can run. I had some problems with it, however, so I think I’ll try to find a different one to use for the future.

In the coming weeks, I plan to learn more about Java and write more (admittedly basic) programs. I’ll have to take a break from it next Wednesday, though, because the class is going to a tech conference as a field trip! I hope there won’t be more programmer “humor”...

--Ari Primak