Friday, November 21, 2014

Ari Primak, Master of the Universe

This week, I read more of the programming e-book Mr. Downs supplied me with. I also followed its example to make a Java program that displays a simple sentence using arguments.
 
To go into more specifics, I learned this week that arguments and variables are different. I surmise that arguments are good for defining things that rarely change, while variables are, on the contrary, good for defining things that change frequently. I'm not really sure when to utilize each of them, but I look forward to learning more about the differences between arguments and variables and the ideal situations to make use of each of their unique strengths.
Below you'll find a detailed description of what I did this week, accompanied by some skillfully taken screenshots created by yours truly (buttons are hard, man).
Here's the entirety of my program. If I don't set any arguments, it gives me an error, like so:


If I want it to run without an error, I need to fill in 3 arguments (One for argument[0], one for argument[1], and one for argument[2]). For example, if I set the arguments as "quick", "brown", and "slow grey", it will instead output this message:


If I so desired, I could change those 3 arguments to any words I wanted. The fox's very reality bows to my will! And he better watch out... or who knows what could happen?



From what I've learned this week, I surmise that arguments are good for defining things that rarely change, while variables are, on the contrary, good for defining things that change frequently. I look forward to learning more about the differences between arguements and variables, and the ideal situations to use each.