Friday, December 19, 2014

How Alison Broke My Heart


Over the past week, I've been working on a certification course from alison.com. Personally, I had trouble learning from it because of its format and content.

My notes, from before I got really lost

Here are some of the things I liked and disliked about alison.com's Javascript and jQuery certification course:
  • I liked that it had lots of examples of different ways to use jQuery commands. In the future, if I need help understanding when to use a jQuery command, this will be one of the first places I look.
  • I didn't like how it jumped right into each topic without explaining the terminology. For someone like me, without any background in Javascript, it quickly became hard to understand what each passage was referring to.
  • I liked that the course conveniently provides a good amount of links to other resources, in case you want more specific documentation.
  • I disliked that the course frequently went through multiple topics without a single line of explanation, only providing blocks of sample code.
  • On a similar note, I disliked that the few exercises that were offered by the course had little to no direction--all they gave you was an end goal and one or two vague hints.
  • Finally, and most importantly, I liked that it was free. Free stuff is good!

It stands for "freedom". God bless America!



Also over the past week, I've decided on what I'm going to do for my final project. I plan on making a webpage that contains some pictures and shapes that people can interact with and change. I'm looking forward to continuing my studies, and I hope to go above and beyond my current plans for the project.